Monday, March 9, 2015

Easton Axis Traditional Arrow Review

Easton Archery has been making the Axis line for a number of years now, and in 2013 they launched the Easton Axis Traditional, that was modeled off of the legendary look of Doug Easton's 1920's hand-made arrows.



easton axis traditionals cu 1
The Easton Axis Trad features a vintage, wood-grain look, but boasts the same performance as the original Axis carbon arrows. The Axis Traditional is slightly heavier, with a brass insert installed to improve front of center weight preferred by some traditional archers.

This means that the insert is secured further back, closer to the arrows center of gravity, giving the arrow better flight characteristics and deeper target penetration.

easton axis traditionals flight cu
The Axis Traditional is also a skinny arrow. At 9/16th in diameter, it was made to fly fast, and the carbon nano tube construction is meant to dampen arrow vibration and tighten your groups.


The arrows look amazing! And paired with some 125 grain field points, these arrows really do pack a punch. These shafts are a 340 spin and fly better than any carbon shaft I've loosed. Most of my targets are "stump style" targets, so when I miss, which happens often, my arrows are often finding there mark in mud, clay, and gravel.

For 2 weeks they took a pounding and the only damage that was done was some minor chipping in the outer wood grain finish. This was unfortunate, but understandable as these arrows have been rattling into each other in nice tight groups. 

easton axis traditionals flight group
At the end of my test I thought I would put them through the ringer by launching them into the river bead.

Normally I wouldn't stump shoot here; at this angle, as you are bound to hit large rocks. I've shattered a few shafts down here, but I wanted to see if the Easton Axis Traditionals could take it. I launched a couple into the stones around my target to see how they'd take it, and honestly, I thought they'd be toast.

easton axis traditionals into solid rock 2


Amazingly, I was wrong, they were tough as nails. The collars are all scuffed and chipped but that was their purpose, so absolutely no complaints here, the shafts were as strong as ever.

For more information about Easton Arrows visit: http://www.eastonarchery.com/

For more information about 3Rivers Archery Supply visit: http://www.3riversarchery.com/