Monday, January 5, 2015

Shooting Arrows. Shooting Images.

cannon 60d on a zacuto should brace, hand
This is my camera. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My camera is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My camera, without me, is useless. Without my camera, I am useless. I must shoot my camera true. I must shoot straighter than those filming around me. I will...

My camera and I know that what counts on set is not the number of frames we fire, the lights or our flashes. We know that it is the focus that counts. We will focus...

My camera is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its glass and lens. I will keep my camera clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

I like shooting stuff. I've always liked shooting stuff, and I consider myself jolly lucky that some how I've managed to carve out an existence where I get to shoot stuff on a regular basis. I shoot places, I shoot people, sometimes I shoot puppies. Thankfully I shoot them all with my trusty camera.

arrows karma tales
Like I said, I've always enjoyed shooting stuff, and I'm not sure where it came from originally. My mother I suppose, was the one who first encouraged me. A stick and some string with dowel rod arrows was my first weapon. Mother said that I had ancient Archery roots. Our great, great, great, forefather in Ancient Briton was a Yomen and feathered the French at the Battle of Agincourt. Not sure how actuate that is, but I'll buy it because it fits, and it's romantic as hell.

Of course now, it's mainly 24 frames per second that I'm shooting, but recently I've begun to create a real Archery program with my Girlfriend who caught the Archery bug from me. Truth be told, she's a much better shot than me, which is frustrating because she's only been shooting for a fraction of the time.

Here is a video we recently produced for Bodnik Bows in Germany, highlighting their Bearpaw Navajo; a beautiful 40 pound recurve with blonde accents.


The video caught the attention of Henry Bodnik of Bearpaw Bows and he commented via Skype that Hannah had excellent form and "looks like she's been shooting for years." I'll take that too, as Hannah Gart is my first official student.

hannah gart of Karma Tales shoots a bow
Hannah runs a wellness retreat and activities business here in Sonoma County, California. It turns out there was considerable interest in Archery from the Lululemon crowd, and that the practice of Archery is similar to practice of Yoga.The first line of the wiki Yoga page reads, "Yoga (/ˈjoʊɡə/; Sanskrit: योग) is a physical, mental, and spiritual practice or discipline, that aims to transform body and mind." That is Archery in a nutshell.

Hannah and I have done several classes and workshops, and are gearing up to do more. Here is a video we recently made describing what a Yoga/Archery, or Archeryoga workshop looks like.


We are focusing on the Traditional form of archery, or Instinctive Archery which means there are no sights and no mechanical aides. The only piece of equipment that needs tuning is the Archer.

You can find out more about Karma Tales Archery Workshops on the Karma Tales website and join the conversation at Karma Tales Facebook page.

karma tales Robin Hood edward seaton

karma tales bows waiting

Blog post written by Edward Seaton